The Interdisciplinary Centre for Water Research (ICWaR) at the Indian Institute of Science is established in April, 2015 with an aim to address water-related issues that have formidable scientific challenges and significant practical relevance. Over the past several decades, the Institute has made high impact contributions in the areas related to water science and technology, both at the large (country, regional and river basin) scales and at the small (watershed, experimental field and laboratory) scales. There is a significant multi-disciplinary strength available in the Institute to address a large number of critical issues related to water and make notable research contributions while simultaneously providing implementable solutions to a number of problems related to water management in the country.
The Centre aims to pursue the following objectives:
- to carry out advanced interdisciplinary research in the broad areas of water science and technology,
- to generate trained manpower through degree programmes of Ph.D., and M.Sc.(Engg), post doctoral research fellowships, short term internships and project mode appointments as SRFs, JRFs, Project Associates, Assistants and Trainees,
- to take up R&D projects with specific deliverables in the areas of water science and technology,
- to develop a vibrant visiting faculty programme to attract leading scientists and researchers in the field to visit the Institute and contribute to the growth of the Centre, and
- to develop outreach programmes through workshops and training programmes to disseminate knowledge.
New Job PostingClick here for more details
Water Futures of India: Status of Science and Technology is the result of an Indian National Science Academy (INSA) initiative to map the responsiveness of India’s science and technology to an impending water crisis. With contributions from eminent scientists and practitioners, the book compiles the existing scientific knowledge in the country on several important issues dealing with water. Additionally, the chapters also discuss relevant policy interventions. The book is jointly published by the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) and the IIScPress, and has been formally released on 28th Feb, 2019 (Science Day) at INSA and on 11th April, 2019 at IIScPress.
Activities held in ICWaR